Saturday, March 13, 2010

Isaac Fukuo Akinaka, one of the many hero's of the 100th Battalion

One of the most famous pictures taken in the war with the guys of the 100th Battalion by Stanley Hamamura. The original photo is in the booklet presented to me by his wife, Fumie, at her home. This photo has been in documentaries, movies, and other endorsements. During the War everyone had to turn in their camera's for security reasons. When they were on the front Stanley asked for his camera back and to his surprise he received it. He took many photos throughout the campaign and some of them are in a booklet that waa given to me. When he came home he put together many booklets and since I came asking about my father, Fumie presented this one to me. She said that it belonged to the family of someone that was a friend to her late husband.

Stanley Hamamura and Dad on the front in Italy......

When we visited her she felt impressed to give me a booklet that her husband had put together of some of the pictures he took of the War in Italy. It was an honor to receive this precious piece of history.
Funie and Stanley Hamamura's home in Manoa Valley. Stanley had just recently passed away and she was preparing to move..

Stanley Hamamura's wife, Fumie, with Stanley's personal photos he took of the war in Italy with the 100th Battalion


1st Anniversary picture when Dad was 34yrs and Mother was 28yrs.


The Akinaka's on Olu street


Punchbowl Final resting place for Dad and Mom........


Isaac Fukuo Akinaka 100th Battalion WWII he eventually received a Silver and Bronze Star for his service. I was told by Ed Ikuma his commanding officer that he should have also gotten a Purple Heart, Dad wouldn't have it as he said many more had more serious wounds than the one he had received, further, he would have been sent home if it was known at the time.

Recollections of Vance Akinaka from a meeting with several of the war buddies at a 100th Battalion 50th Anniversary Celebration June 27th, 1992

I had the pleasure of attending this special gathering of war heroes. I was living on Maui and received an invitation as a son of a past member of the 100th Battalion. I attended with my older brother, Kenneth and my mother, Gwen. While at this gathering I was privileged to meet and discuss my father with several of the war veterans. These were all wonderful people and survivors along with their families. To a man they were all humble and for the most part reserved individuals.

Stanley Hamamura came to me and mentioned he was my father’s friend and later sent me the photo of them together and took the one of Dad eating and resting.

Albert Oki came and introduced himself to me and said he looked forward to finally telling someone the story of my father and him. He felt ashamed that he could never thank my father personally and when he heard of my father’s passing, felt that he had to one day tell his story to one of my Dad’s family.
He was younger than my father. He would often harass my father as they trained in the mainland before heading overseas. He said when they would get a furlow he and the other guys would always look forward to partying and looking for the ladies. Dad would always read his scriptures, and tell the others to take care and have fun. He would stay in the barracks while the others would go partying. Albert was the one that would always tease my father the most.
While in a fire fight on the top of a mountain his patrol was under siege and taking heavy machinegun fire. They had to hold their position and was surrounded by the enemy along with mines. Albert was wounded badly and was bleeding to death. They radioed to headquarters at the bottom of the hill. They said he would have to wait it out as no one was available to get him under the conditions they were in. The captain told Albert he would have to hang in there until the next day. After a short time my father showed up. Albert knew my father had been at headquarters. He asked him how he got up there. My father said he heard the request on the radio and came up to get Albert. He picked up Albert on his back and carried him back down through the machinegun fire and mine fields. Albert said he never did get to thank him after the war for saving his life. He was grateful to now have that opportunity. After the war Albert went on to a distinguished law career. He became the first AJA to become a Federal Administration Law Judge.

Kenneth Otagaki was another individual that I had the honor to meet. When I met him he was disabled. He had lost his leg on one side and had other severe injuries. He told me how Dad volunteered to be a medic, just like himself. They didn’t want to kill anyone and it was a vital job that someone had to do. Often times they would come in from firefights and be exhausted. The word would come out for volunteers to go back to the front to help the wounded. He said that he actually would try to hide from Dad. He knew when he saw him coming around that Dad would be looking for him to go out with the stretcher. He said he could never turn my father down. The reason was that my dad had a standing agreement with Kenneth. He once told him that whenever they went out together to collect the wounded,” I’ll hold the front of the stretcher on the way out and hold the back of the stretcher on the way back.” Eventually, they became separated and Kenneth was injured and sent home. After the war he went on to UH and became a distinguished professor and later served as the agricultural secretary to Gov. John A. Burns.

Dad once told me that he often thought that he might have “tempted god” a little too much during the war. He had a priesthood blessing in Utah while training before going overseas and said that he would be preserved if he kept the commandments and the faith. This may be in part why he acted the way he had in these and other occasions. He has written other personal stories in his journal. He had never mentioned either on of these stories to me before. He would often state if you want to know about the war read the book “ Ambassador in Arms” by Murphy. This was a war correspondent that traveled with the 100th. Dad had written notes and referenced them to the book. I currently have the notes but not his original book. My younger brother, Bruce has the original book.

All of these war heroes were normal guys just trying to stay alive and do their duty as patriots. They pretty much all had one thing in common. They were unassuming and all very humble. They didn’t consider themselves as heroes or even very brave. The many stories often had to be coaxed from them. They all felt that it was their duty for love of country and each of their families. It was a special honor they had all felt to represent their family name and their country.

Vance Akinaka
29th March 2008



Ed's writings.........


Ed Ikuma writing his note about Dad. He was from the neighborhood, 9th Avenue, we lived on Olu St by 6th avenue. He remembered Dad from before the War. They served together in the 100th. Ed was one of the few to have landed in Italy and walked his way through Europe in many campaigns all the way to Berlin. He's a retired officer and truly a gentleman. He is very kind and attended our Auntie's 100th and 101st birthday celebrations. His wife's burial location at Punchbowl is in the same area as Grandpa Bob Swan's memorial resting place. All hero's of a fallen generation gone now but not forgotton. Forever grateful for their sacrifices for our liberty and freedom around the world.


Punchbowl of the Pacific final resting place for heros and lovedones.


A true gentleman. Ken Otagaki, He came to me at one of the 100th Battalion's celebrations and introduced himself. He along with others came to me and gave their thanks and their personal stories about serving with Dad and what each of them felt about him and their comrades in arms..........


Ken Otagaki with Kenny and Vance at his home in Manoa weeks before his passing


Ken writing......


Ken reading his story that I had made from memory from our first meeting at the dinner for the 100th. I asked him like the others if I had gotten their stories correct about serving with Dad......


Distingushed friend and comrade, Ken Otagaki, fellow stretcher bearer medic



Dad taking a break........

1 comment:

vakinaka said...

Linda's bloodline includes German, English as well as Croatian
My bloodline is Japanese. Here a generation later somehow fate has brought Linda and I together ❤ here in Hawaii our family lines have Inter twined forever. Aloha