Saturday, March 13, 2010

Remembering a wonderful Auntie

(I apologize for not being able to download a picture of her. )

KIM TATEOKA

Kim Yamaki Tateoka 1927 ~ 2010 Our beloved mom, Grams, and Great grams passed away Feb. 12, 2010 of congestive heart failure. Mom was born on June 3, 1927 to Rokusaburo and Ishi Yamaki in Ogden, UT. She married Sam I. Tateoka on April 7, 1946. She was a graduate of Davis High School and was employed by Albertson's for 30 years. Mom's favorite things were her children, grandchildren, great grandchild, the Utah Jazz and her trips to Las Vegas and Wendover. Preceded in death by parents, husband Sam, brother Ken, sisters Gwen and Mary. Survived by brother Joe, children Patricia T. Akiyama (Brent), Ronald I. Tateoka (Judie), Norman K. Tateoka (Reiko), grandchildren Brett Akiyama, Kimberly Moss (Travis), Sam and Jennifer Tateoka, Janice Tateoka and great-grandchild Kai Moss. The family would like to thank Christus St. Joseph Villa Quinney Transitional Care Center for their care and all her friends at St. Joseph Senior Apartments for their support and treasured friendships. A viewing will be held Thursday, Feb. 18, from 6-8 p.m. at Murray Memorial Mortuary, 5850 S. 900 E. Graveside services will be held at noon on Friday, Feb 19 at W. Jordan Cemetery, 7800 S. 1300 W.


Published in Salt Lake Tribune from February 14 to February 16, 2010

This was my Auntie from SLC. Gwen was our Mother. She had met Elias before his mission and always thought very highly of him. She often would ask of him, having had met him. She was a wonderful Auntie. Sam was her husband and even though many of our 8 children didn't meet her or her family, she was always a very good person to all of us. As a child our family would often go every summer to visit with them and would stay at their home for a couple of weeks or sometimes longer. We would take Auntie B along with us most of the time as she was like my surrogate Grandmother, whom I never knew either of them. I have only one recognition of meeting our Grandfather Rokusaburo, Mom and Kim's Father, when I was very young. He was very short and bald and could only smile and speak Japanese. He was sitting and stood up to shake my hand and always smiling saying some incoherent to me in Japanese. Over and over, smiling and shaking his head. That's all I remember of any of my Grandparents, hence, Auntie B became my Grandma to me even though I always called her Auntie. I later went to live with Auntie B on Oahu for my Junior year at Kaimuki HS in 65". She just made 101 yrs old and is still as sweet as apple pie. One day we'll all be gone and all you will have left is memories and the things we had told to you. Check my blog at vanceandlinda.blogspot.com periodically and I will try to upload items. I do have some video that I would like to get on it. I took off the privacy so anyone can get into the site to view. Aloha VA (Pops)

No comments: